The following position is now open at our Pangeanic office in Valencia within the Marie Curie EU EXPERT Programme as we are seeking a Researcher in Hybrid Machine Translation. The following text is the offer published at EURAXESS.
The position is part of the project EXPERT (EXPloiting Empirical appRoaches to Translation), a Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN), it aims to train young researchers, namely Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) & Experienced Researchers (ERs), to promote the research, development & use of hybrid language translation technologies. More information on the project & its objectives can be found at the following URL: http://expert-itn.eu/
Pangeanic BI-Europe (www.pangeanic.com) is looking for a post-doctoral researcher (ER) to carry out research work on the implementation & evaluation (including user aspects) of the improved SMT, EBMT & TM prototypes proposed in EXPERT project & particularly how these can be applied to its PangeaMT platform.
The ER will complement the work of a group of ESRs with humanities background in the implementation & evaluation (including user aspects) of the improved prototypes proposed in EXPERT.
• Improved and fully functional hybrid MT models that make use of TM matching and retrieval techniques investigated in EXPERT project.
• Comprehensive analysis of the suitability of these approaches in industrial application scenarios.
• User-centred evaluation of improved hybrid prototypes.
• Illustrate the benefits brought by the EXPERT technologies in real life scenarios.
To reach these objectives, the following tasks and methodology should be taken into account:
• Implement hybrid MT models relying on TM, SMT, RBMT and other tools, and resolve practical challenges.
• Evaluate the suitability of these approaches in industrial application scenarios and with professional translators.
• Measure the improvement in performance provided by EXPERT technologies over baseline models.
• 1-month stay to the University of Saarland to study the prototypes for improved individual translation tools and the ideal infrastructure for translation proposed in EXPERT and interact with one of the ESRs.
• 1-month stay to Dublin City University (DCU) to study the prototypes for improved individual translation tools and the ideal infrastructure for translation proposed in EXPERT and interact with one of the ESRs.
• 1-month stay at iTrad, an Argentinean translation company to evaluate the prototypes developed together with one of the ERs.
• Improved Hybrid prototypes.
• Final evaluation of these prototypes.
• Scientific papers: A minimum of two scientific papers to be published at major conferences and/or relevant journals.
• Comparative evaluation showing the improvement brought by EXPERT technologies over other existing systems.
• Analysis of their suitability in industrial application scenarios.
• Demonstration of prototypes to the community in the project Business Showcase.
• Contribution to a training course held as part of the project Business Showcase event, and to hands-on training for the use of the new tools developed in EXPERT project, as well as on general post-editing of automatic translation.
57,154 Euros (Marie Curie rates will apply).
Monthly mobility allowance:
683.90 Euros for ER without a family, or 977 Euros for ER with a family (Marie Curie rates will apply).
The contract offered has a duration of 18 months.
Nr of positions available : 1
Language sciences – Linguistics
Experienced researcher or 4-10 yrs (Post-Doc)
Recognised Researcher (R2)
Comment/web site for additional job details
We are looking for an open-minded person that loves programming and is focused on quality and performance:
• Master or doctorate in IT, computer engineering or mathematics with a strong interest in NLP and willing to help the translation industry.
• World-class programming skills.
• In-depth knowledge of the state-of-the-art algorithms and methods related to data retrieving, data mining and string manipulation.
• Knowledge of MT systems, preferably SMT and RBMT.
• Knowledge of machine learning and typical NLP languages, such as Python and/or Perl.
• Knowledge of translation memory systems and matching & retrieval algorithms and segmentation.
• Knowledge of Linux-based server environment.
• Availability to work in an international environment.
• Good relationship and communication skills.
All suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender or nationality are welcome to apply as long as the following conditions are fulfilled:
• Applicants should be in possession of a doctoral degree (preferably) or have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience. At the time of recruitment, the applicant should have less than five years of full-time equivalent research experience (including the duration of the PhD).
• Applicants should have good knowledge of English, both written and oral, in order to be able to submit reports in English.
• Applicants should (preferably) have basic command of the Spanish language.
• Applicants should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3-year period immediately prior to the start date. Candidates of Spanish nationality should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 5-year period immediately prior to the start date.
The fellowship will be available from 1st February 2015 on, and the position can be filled anytime from that date on (at the latest 31st March 2015).